Below is a list of the types of regular lab work that we can perform and why they help in treating your kitty.
- Complete Blood Count (CBC): Measures the number of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets.
- Blood Chemistry: Tests kidney function, liver abnormalities, and electrolyte levels, protein levels and glucose levels.
- Urinalysis: Aids in assessing kidney function, checks for diabetes and urinary tract infection.
- Thyroid Testing: Cats are prone to Hyperthyroidism as they age. This is a simple blood test to determine if your cat is at risk. Hyperthyroidism is a manageable disease.
- Cardiac ProBNP: ProBNP is an enzyme that is released from heart muscle that is stretched and stressed indicating heart dysfunction. In Cats 50 % of them without a heart murmur can have heart disease, and 50 % of the with a heart murmur don’t have heart disease.
- Fecal exam: Used to examine for parasites such as roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms, coccidia, giardia.
- Retroviral testing: FELV and FIV are viral infections transmitted to your cat through interacting with other infected cats. Testing is recommend yearly for outdoor cats and if your cat is ill.
Don’t hesitate to contact us today at (858) 204-1331 if you have any questions or concerns about laboratory work.